CORVALLIS — The Oregon State Beavers host the Auburn Tigers Sunday night in Game 2 of the Corvallis Super Regional at Goss Stadium.
The 14th-seeded Tigers won the opener, 7-5, and need one more win in the best-of-three series to advance to the College World Series. No. 3 seed Oregon State, on the other hand, will face elimination for the second time in the last three games.
The Beavers were dealt a blow about two hours before Saturday’s opener, when ace Cooper Hjerpe was ruled out with an illness. Jake Pfennigs started in Hjerpe’s place and didn’t make it out of the third inning, as Auburn’s red-hot lineup — which has scored 58 runs in its last four games — touched him up for five runs to take an early lead.
The Tigers’ bullpen took over from there, allowing just four hits and one run, while striking out 10, in 8 1/3 innings.
Afterward, Oregon State coach Mitch Canham said he was hopeful Hjerpe would be healthy enough to start Sunday night, but the status of the 6-foot-3 left-hander won’t be determined until later this afternoon.
Catch up on the Beavers and the series with the links below:
• The Tigers’ dominating bullpen and Hjerpe’s health were the different in Game 1.
• Series preview: Battled-tested Oregon State ready for ‘Bad News’ Auburn Tigers in Corvallis Super Regional
• Wade Meckler’s story is no fairy tale, but it might seem like one
• Jacob Melton overcame injury, self-doubt with help from fly fishing and the Rogue River
• Hjerpe is a bulldog comedian. But make no mistake, he has unfinished business
• More than a mullet: A look at Garret Forrester’s rise into one of the Beavers’ most clutch contributors
• Going ‘up top’: The secret behind Oregon State baseball’s relentless lineup
• Beavers survive collapse and ‘craziest day of baseball,’ beat UCLA Bruins to reach Pac-12 tournament championship
• Beavers show ‘tremendous amount of heart,’ escape Vanderbilt to win Corvallis Regional
Here are details about tonight’s game:
Oregon State Beavers (47-17) vs. Auburn (41-19)
When: 7 p.m., PT Sunday, June 12
Where: Goss Stadium, Corvallis
TV channel: ESPN2.
How to watch live stream online: You can watch the game live for FREE with fuboTV (free trial) and on Sling (promotional offers). If you have a cable subscription, visit the OSU baseball schedule page and click the “watch” link, then log-in with your provider info. Also, watch the game online by visiting WatchESPN or through the ESPN app on smartphones, tablets, streaming devices and smart televisions. You can also listen live online by accessing the live broadcast tab on the baseball schedule page or via via the Varsity Network application on smartphones and tablets.
Radio: All games air on the Beaver Sports Network starting 30 minutes before the first pitch. Affiliates include: KEJO 1240-AM (Corvallis), KKNX 840-AM (Eugene), KCFM 1250-AM & 104.1-FM (Florence), KLAD 960-AM & 93.3-FM (Klamath Falls), KTMT 880-AM & 96.1 -FM (Medford, weekend games), KEX 1190-AM (Portland), 102.3 FM (weekday games prior to 5:30 pm), KSKR 1490-AM (Roseburg) and KBZY 1490-AM (Salem, weekend games).
Likely starters: TBA vs. Auburn RHP Joseph Gonzalez (7-2, 2.90)
— Joe Freeman | email@example.com | 503-294-5183 | @BlazerFreeman | Subscribe to The Oregonian/OregonLive newsletters and podcasts for the latest news and top stories.